Skip to main content

How AI Enhances My Everyday Engineering Workflow (After 15 years in Software)

How AI Enhances My Everyday Engineering Workflow (After 15 years in Software)

For the first 15 years of my engineering career, I had a single metric to gauge my productivity:

How many lines did I write today?

This is how I gauge it in 2026:

Did I make enough good decisions — and validate them well enough?

I didn’t realize it, but that transformation has quietly altered the way I am going to approach designing systems, debugging production problems and even writing documentation.

From ASP.net web forms to react / Angular, MSSQL to Postgresql, C# to NodeJS, I’ve come to a simple realization:

AI doesn’t replace experienced engineers.
 It magnifies that engineer who groks what systems are.

This isn’t hype.

Here’s how I actually use AI in production-grade settings to help me think better, design faster, and make less avoidable mistakes.

No fluff. Just what works.

1️⃣ From Idea → Structured Architecture (Faster, Not Lazier)

Early in my career, this is what it would look like to design a system:-

  • Whiteboarding
  • Confluence docs
  • Iterating diagrams
  • Discovering edge cases too late
  • Refactoring after implementation pain

Now when I create e.g.:

  • A Node + Fastify + Prisma API
  • A .NET Core service with JWT + RBAC
  • Agent based ingest workflow with SQLite + event processing

I don’t start with code.

I start with structured thinking — and I use AI as a stress-testing engine.

Instead of asking:

“Generate architecture.”

I ask:

  • What other failure modes are there?
  • If that scales to 10x, what breaks first?
  • Which coupling hazards are present in such folder structure?
  • What other architectures simplify the system operation?

A small example

One year ago, I created an email ingestion pipeline.

It worked perfectly in staging.

And in production, double-processing was caused by duplicate message enters.

That bug cost hours.

These days, before I put pen to flesh in code, I imagine:

  • Duplicate arrivals within milliseconds
  • Partial database writes
  • Worker crashes mid-processing
  • Idempotency failures

AI surfaces edge cases early.

I still decide. But I decide in more plain sight.

The improvement isn’t speed.

It’s architectural depth upfront.

2️⃣ Spec-Driven Development Became Real

The biggest change in my workflow:

I no longer jump into code.

Now I:

  1. Write a clean scope document
  2. Define folder structure
  3. Draft SQL DDL
  4. Outline module boundaries
  5. Define config schema

Only then do I implement.

And even this structured approach did nothing to eliminate the blind spots that resulted before A.I.

Now I use AI to:

  • Validate inconsistencies in the spec
  • Identify circular dependencies
  • Highlight over-engineering
  • Question assumptions
  • Suggest simpler alternatives

The result?

  • Fewer refactor cycles
  • Cleaner first iterations
  • Better separation of concerns

AI didn’t accelerate typing.

What it did — it raised the precision for decision pre-typing.

That alone changed the curve of my productivity.

3️⃣ Thinking in Systems, Not Just Functions (Agentic Workflows)

This was the true mindset shift.

In recent years, I have planted:

  • Email monitoring workflows
  • Financial document ingestion systems
  • Intent classification pipelines
  • Multi-step automation flows

You used to write big blocks of procedural logic.

Now I think in:

  • Orchestrators
  • Supervisors
  • Memory layers
  • Idempotent processors
  • Retry strategies
  • Audit logs

So I avoid saying “write a function” to AI, and instead present it with behavior:

  • What if the decay of step 3 did not succeed but that of step 4 did?
  • How do we ensure idempotency with retries?
  • What is the recovery model when there’s an inconsistent in memory?
  • Where should observability hooks live?

AI becomes a system simulator.

It allows me to think about fluid behavior before production does.

The upgrade isn’t code generation.

It’s resilience design acceleration.

How AI Enhances My Everyday Engineering Workflow (After 15 years in Software)

4️⃣ Debugging at a Senior Level

The difference between a junior and senior engineer isn’t syntax.

It’s debugging depth.

When I hit issues like:

  • NGINX MIME errors
  • Prisma ESM conflicts
  • Docker OOM failures
  • Puppeteer sandbox issues
  • PostgreSQL restore conflicts

I don’t ask AI:

“Fix this.”

Instead, I ask:

  • What kind of problem is that?
  • Which layer is breaking — app, container, runtime, infra?
  • What assumptions might be broken?
  • Tell me three possible root causes in order of the likelihood.

AI narrows the search space.

Rather than going into the ground blindly for 45 minutes, I eliminate whole failure classes within minutes.

AI is my hypothesis generator.

I remain the validator.

Production still demands discipline.

5️⃣ Communication Becomes Leverage

Senior engineers, after all, aren’t code monkeys.

We write:

  • Design documents
  • README files
  • Architecture proposals
  • Copilot instructions
  • Internal RFCs

Clear communication is leverage.

AI helps me:

  • Refine tone
  • Improve structure
  • Remove redundancy
  • Tighten argument flow
  • Make documentation consistent

The key difference?

I never let AI write blindly.

I feed it:

  • Context
  • Constraints
  • Target audience
  • Trade-offs

Then I refine.

And the output is my thinking — not some standard blog-like rewrite.

6️⃣ What AI Does Not Do For Me

Let’s be honest.

AI does not:

  • Understand business context automatically
  • Replace domain knowledge
  • Eliminate production responsibility
  • Think strategically without direction

If you don’t know what good architecture is,

AI won’t magically produce it.

It will produce something plausible.

That’s a dangerous difference.

AI magnifies judgment.

If you have a good sense of judgment, production is better.

If you have poor judgment, then errors appear more professional.

7️⃣ The Real Upgrade

The largest change to my active development workflow wasn’t a new framework.

It wasn’t a new language.

Not a new cloud provider.

It was this:

From “code generator”
 To “thinking partner.”

Today, I treat AI as:

  • A design reviewer
  • A structured thinking engine
  • A debugging hypothesis generator
  • A documentation accelerator
  • A systems brainstorming partner

But never as an ultimate authority.

That line matters.

Final Thought

Early in my career, productivity looked like:

How many lines of code did I write?

Today, productivity means:

How many right decisions did I make — and how quickly did I validate them?

  • The engineers who do best in this transition won’t be the fastest typists.
  • They’ll be the best decision-makers.
  • AI enables me to drive decisions much, much quicker.
  • And that’s the real augmentation.

Originally published on Medium: How AI Enhances My Everyday Engineering Workflow (After 15 years in Software).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog